n colloquial name for something sold in a chippy that’s served inside a roll or a folded-over piece of bread. It’s a bit of a northern English/Scottish thing, and has more recently started being used to cover pretty much any sort of sandwich. The most popular is a chip butty, but you can also buy bacon or fish butties without seeming strange. May be derived from the German “butterbrot” meaning “butter bread” and referring to a similar sort of dish.

In categories

Eating and Drinking

Related words

brown sauce, bubble and squeak, candy floss, chipolata

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *